Sunday, October 30, 2005

Carving Pumpkins

Do I need to tell you that the kids are a little anxious for tomorrow's festivities? Jacob came sprinting into our room this morning - "Today is Halloween!!" "No, hon, it's tomorrow." "Oh." It can't come fast enough, and by bedtime tomorrow, they'll be talking about what they're going to "be" next year, while coming down from a mild sugar high.

The McMullen's will be joining us again this year from some trick or treating around the neighborhood before we part company to head to the respective grandparents houses. It's becoming our Halloween tradition, and I hope it's one that continues. These kind of activities are always more fun when you get to participate with friends (and the kids enjoy that, too!).

The pumpkin carving this morning was a lot of fun - we let our kids pick out whatever they want to put on their pumpkins, but then mom and dad are completely in charge from that point on (knives in their little hands...are you kidding??). The kids are really funny about it because they become quite attached to their pumpkin "visions." They sketch out exactly what they want to see on their pumpkin (this year I had the privilege of carving a forehead and heart-shaped eyes, while Adam was challenged with a ghost and the word BOO!), and then they draw their sketch onto the pumpkin for us to use as a template. If we don't cut exactly what's drawn, you better believe we hear about it. Fortunately they're usually satisfied with "I'm doing the best I can, sweetheart." Ah, artists...so tempermental!

No comments:

Post a Comment