We had a great twist on our family time this Monday as it was the 4th of July - we packed up and headed down to Syracuse for a sun- and fun-filled day at the "Marques' Summer Place." There's nothing like a day at the lakehouse. Relaxing, eating, talking, water fun, more eating, cards, eating, and so on. Yesterday was a particularly relaxing day, at least for me, as our kids are now officially self-maintained in the water. Yes, grandma, they had life jackets on (love you!), but we can now sit on the porch of the house - a safe and comfortable distance from the activity in the water - and the kids are just fine on their own. This is a good day.
After a good amount of sitting around doing a lot of nothing (man, I love that), and a quick clean up when the sky began to look ominous (only to blow over with only a few sprinkles), we put the 4 oldest kids (Jacob, Allison, Abby and Rachel - yes, 3-year-old- Rachel) in two tubes behind the boat and took off (at all of 5mph!). They had an absolute blast! I've never heard such giggling and begging to "GO FASTER!!" Even Rachel was feeling the need for speed. Once we pulled her into the boat, we gave the kids what they were looking for and really opened that boat up...to about 10mph - wahoo! Got a lot of great pictures and video - good times.
Tammy threw down the gauntlet once the kids were safely in the boat - she challenged me to tube with her. Keep in mind that the last time either of us had done this was B.K. (before kids)! I admit, I wasn't all that excited about the idea. But you can't turn down such a challenge and hope to have any dignity left, so I suited up and jumped in. Now, I'm not going to give any gory details or mention any names, but I will say that one of us was dumped twice and the other managed to hold on for dear life while her best friend's dad did absolutely everything a human can do to torture another human with a boat. Nice try Fred. Maybe next time.
Do I have to tell you that I couldn't lift my arms above my head all day at work today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ahhhhhh, the lakes! You look like you had a lot of fun! Why would you need to hold your arms up above your head at a scrapbooking store anyway:)
ReplyDeleteYes, you are right you stayed on the tube. But now the challenge is ON :) I have to admit that even though I fell off a couple of times it was way fun! Remember those days when we could ride the tubes many times around the lake and this time we were lucky to make it once around, guess that is what happens when you get old!
ReplyDeleteTubing? TUBING?! At YOUR age! Actually, I wish I could've seen it. I probably would have laughed my butt off (which, at MY age, probably would have required at least a dual hip replacement).
ReplyDelete