Thursday, September 8, 2005

My husband Adam is my hero. Seriously. Those of you who know me understand that I am an arachnophobic. I understand this to be completely irrational. I understand that I am about 10,000 times the size of most spiders that I run into. For some reason that I have yet to comprehend, this knowledge does little or nothing to convince me that panic isn't the appropriate response when our paths cross. So, while I was sitting here at the computer last night (blogging, of course) and a spider the size of a small rodent crawled up the wall right in front of me. I, naturally (or not so naturally) lost it. My instinct is to run and never look back. However, that means losing sight of the beast and the potential of having it alive and running loose in the house, meaning that I would have to vacate the premises. I then begin to contemplate different methods of obliterating the thing - which, of course, must be done from a reasonable distance. I have no options - the lethal chemicals (bleach, bug killers, hairspray) are all in another room. Vacuum is upstairs, but I decide to risk it and retrieve the tool that may potentially save my life. However, I still have some serious issues with sucking a spider toward me in any way, so I can't bring myself to use it. The only logical (yeah, I know) option is to call Adam and plead for his assistance. Being the understanding man that he is, once he finished laughing and making jokes, he actually left work to drive home and save me. He even stayed on the phone with me most of the time to keep me calm. I was growing tired, as I was standing on the computer desk, holding a flashlight over my head in order to keep the thing in sight (can't lose it). Unfortunately I became slightly overconfident when it hadn't moved in a while and I sat down, taking my eye off it momentarily. A couple of minutes later, it crawled back up from behind the desk into my line of sight, causing me to bolt from the chair I was sitting in, tripping over the vacuum and falling into my scrapbooking supplies. It wasn't a pretty sight. I admit - not my finest hour. But Adam saved me, and that's all that matters. My hero.

4 comments:

  1. Arachniphobia is DEFINITELY a Holt thing. Your father and I, though fascinated by them, also hated them. His answer was to usually torch "the gorillas". Of course, this would leave scorch marks on the walls, but the gorillas would go down in flames and we could all sleep at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another wonderful trait I can thank the Holts for! I can only imagine the look on Grandpa's face upon finding such a scorch mark...I shudder just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I just laughed out loud, actually I am still laughing as I write this. No not becasue you are afraid of spiders but because I can totally imagine you jumping out of your chair and tripping over things. I can even see the expression on your face.Love ya Beck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HEY! When we Holt's leave our mark, we LEAVE OUR MARK (usually in the form of severe scarring, but....)

    ReplyDelete