Wednesday, September 7, 2005

I'm getting a quality education here...

My son, Jacob, started first grade a couple of weeks ago. I won't begin to tell you how badly it freaks me out that I have a first-grader. Anyway, there have been many things over the last couple of weeks that I have been confused about in regards to Jacob's educational experience. First, I thought I'd be all on top of things by getting Jacob's school supplies at the beginning of August, before the permacrowds began to form in the back-to-school isles at Walmart. I also happened to have the money at that particular time - very motivational. I mention this to my mother (who works in administration in our school district and is a former 1st grade teacher) a couple of days later, all proud of myself...until she informs me that our kids aren't required to get school supplies - "the school provides them." "Then why does Walmart have a list of school supplies required for Mary Frank 1st Graders?" I ask. "I don't know, but they shouldn't, and you shouldn't." she replies. Ok, whatever. Then, the Monday before the first day of school (Wednesday) it occurs to me that I don't yet know who Jacob's teacher is. I call mom. "Well, don't you have a back-to-school picnic or something that you're supposed to go to?" she asks. "I don't know. How would I know that?" I ask. "It would be on the district calendar that you should have gotten in the mail. Did you get a calendar?" (I'm trying not to notice the patronizing tone in her voice) "Yes. It might have said something about a back to school picnic..." "Well, I would go to that, if I were you. You know, you're really sounding like a naive, first-time parent." So school starts and Jacob gets this planner thing that the teacher uses to communicate Jacob's homework responsibilities to us parents. Very cool. Last week we get a planner entry that says that Jacob needs to "study" a list of words written in the planner. I call mom. "What does 'study' mean to a first-grader?" Read? Write? Spell? Memorize? Help me out here!!

Tonight was parents night at Jacob's school. FINALLY...questions answered. Gym shoes? Yes. Study means spell (board words)...unless it means read (step words). H.L. stands for Home Link. Mrs. Ziege was Ms. Eckerly (that clears up a lot of confusion). Kids count using something called touchpoints now instead of using their fingers so they don't have to put down their pencils. Who'd have guessed? We were encouraged to "power-read" with our kids. I have a handout I'm supposed to read that explains what power-reading is. How have I made it 32 years without knowing that?!?

So, mom, I'm not feeling so bad. I didn't have to ask a single question at parents night tonight - not because I knew all the answers. It was because every single one of my questions was asked by other parents in the room. Apparently I wasn't the only naive parent there!

btw - I overheard my preschooler tonight counting patches on her AWANA vest...in SPANISH! She made it to ten with no mistakes. I'm confident I will have much more to learn by the time she reaches 1st grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment