Monday was a torturously long and emotional day for us - Adam's entire family. Ellen's memorial service was yesterday. It was a wonderful service, planned, in large part, by Ellen herself. Adam's sisters spoke, we sang hymns that Ellen chose herself, and the Pastor used Coldplay "hymns" as part of his message, as chosen by Ellen. There was a wonderful video with pictures of Ellen and the family - there were times of uncontrollable sobs, followed almost immediately by laughter. It was a beautiful way to remember Ellen's life and the impact that she had on all of us.
One of the most moving moments for me was before the service even started. We were standing in the entryway of the church as people were beginning to arrive. At one point I turned toward the door in time to see about a dozen of our closest GCC friends heading toward us...The look on Adam's face when he saw them is one that I will never forget. If there had ever been doubt as to why we feel so strongly about our church family, they were answered in that moment. (Of course, had anyone suspected that we actually belonged to some strange cult, those suspicions were probably also confirmed as 6 of the 12 people have their heads shaved...) I have never been more proud (and humbled at the same time) to call GCC home.
Later last night, after returning home from Holland, Adam and I received the absolutely shocking and devastating news that Doug Coney died last night of a heart attack. Doug and Adam have worked closely together at GCC for I-don't-know-how-many years and we consider the Coneys our good friends. Our hearts are breaking for that family right now - Leslie, Peyton, and Dalton, and their extended family. Please join me in keeping them in your prayers today.
Jesus - I often don't understand why things happen they way they do. That's no surprise to you as we've talked about that before. I do, however, trust you and your sovereignty. Please help me to remember the Irelands and the Coneys today - two families who desperately need strength from you to make it through today as their hearts are utterly broken. Please make your presence known to them today. Hold them as only you can, and make us available to them in whatever way we might be needed. Remind all of us that you are, in fact, in control and that you know that plans you have for all of us. We love you. I love you. I need you, today and everyday. AMEN
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sometimes life just dosen't make sense, don't we both know that. There is no other family I would rather be doing life with though! We Christ right next to us we can get through it all. We love you guys!
ReplyDelete:(
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. I'm praying for you guys and Adam's family.
ReplyDelete