Monday, March 31, 2008

A Homeowner's/Mother's/Scrapbooker's Worst Nightmare...

Adam and I discovered last week that our family room flooded a little while back when I went to pull Abby's First Year album off our bookshelf. Apparently we've got "seepage" at the foundation - at least that's our assumption at this point - because the floor, baseboard and lower part of the wall all show damage. The bookshelf and cd towers (Ikea system, that I happened to *really* like) are completely ruined as they are pressed wood and they wicked the water up and molded. The carpet showed signs of being wet about 3-4 feet out from the wall. It also damaged an end table and a desk that Adam uses for his Xbox, and you can also tell that the bottom corners of the couches got wet.

Back to the First Year album... I pulled it off the bottom shelf and found it to be completely damp and molded at the bottom, which was how I discovered there was a problem. We proceeded to empty the bookshelf - Jacob's First Year album and one of my India trip albums were also ruined. Not a good day/week for me.

Good news? The pictures, including some of their Joyce's portraits, can pretty much be replaced as I have located most of the negatives, and Joyce's keeps EVERYTHING!!

Bad news? Insurance doesn't cover "seepage."

Sounds like we get to pull up some carpet, bleach stuff, replace some padding, baseboard, drywall, furniture, and albums. $$$ Ouch.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Becky, I can't even imagine. I'm SO sorry! I hope that you're able to salvage most of your things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh. The joys of homeownership! We've been looking at condos....

    ReplyDelete