Father's Day has typically been a difficult day for me in years past, since my dad hasn't been around for about 16 years now. He died when I was 16, so there wasn't much for me (or my siblings) to celebrate when that particular holiday would roll around every year. I remember feeling left out, especially those first few years after he died - no cards to buy, no gifts to pick out and wrap, no dinner after church. I actually remember thinking on a few occassions, as people would ask, unknowingly, what my Father's Day plans were, "I don't have a father." But then I'd catch myself, every time, because my dad taught me a very valuable lesson during the time I did have him here with me. I don't remember exactly how the subject came up, but it must have been in response to me calling him my father at some point - he would stop me and say, "I'm not your father. I'm your dad. God is your Father." (Matt. 23:9) It didn't mean a whole lot to me at the time, but in the years that have followed his death, the lesson took on new meaning. I'm not alone. My Father will never leave me. I'm not one to look for a sign from God in just anything - not that I think he couldn't - but today I'm pretty sure I got one:

Matthew 23:9 - And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.
1 John 3:1 - How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!
Your dad was a very special person.
ReplyDeleteYour dad lives on in you and your words Becky - absolutely beautiful!!!
ReplyDeleteI agree . You're a lot like your dad in so many ways . You and Steve and Katie are truly refections of him.
ReplyDelete