Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Two Things...

First:

Swimming lessons have started up again for the summer! The kids wait, literally, ALL YEAR for this to happen, and they are having a great time. The first day (Monday) was "testing" day to determine which level the kids belong in. Abby is in level 2 (for the third time - at $35 per session - but hey, she's having a good time!) and Jacob has graduated to level 3. If I have my say in the matter, we'd do swimming lessons all year round. It's a blast. The kids are having fun, and I have just as much fun watching them and their whole-hearted efforts. There is nothing more entertaining than watching a kid learn to swim. You're just going to have to trust me on this. Or, show up at Penn High School some morning this week or next from 9:20-9:50 and see it for yourself. Tammy and I will be there - look for us in the bleachers.


Second:

Those of you who know me may already know some of this story, but stick with me. I have a 2000 Honda Odessey. Bought it used from Basney Honda in Mishawaka, IN, with their "Honda Certified Used Car" extended warranty. Last fall, I began to have some issues with my van. The sliding door was broken. And my service engine soon light was on. And my TCS light was on. And my maintenance required light was on. All very annoying, and all needing attention. Since my van was still under warranty, I took it last Fall to Basney for have it serviced. After taking a look at it, they informed me that NONE of the service I needed was covered by my warranty. That didn't sit well with me. In fact, I took the van and left, without the service being completed, and never looked back. Keep in mind that this is the 3rd used vehicle we've purchased from Basney, in part because of their extended warranty. Not happy.

Last week, I finally got around to calling Honda about the situation to let them know my feelings about my warranty. I talked to a very pleasant and helpful man named Mark who happened to be the account rep for Basney (how lucky can I get?). He asked if I would reconsider going back to Basney if he arranged for the service to be taken care of. Free repairs? Yeah, I can handle that. I called Basney to make the appointment and proceeded into a half hour debate with one of the service managers over a bill I had refused to pay last fall (charging me for the service ESTIMATE?? I don't think so). We each made it very clear how we felt about the situation, with passion, and then he promised to have the other service manager call me back. John called and scheduled me for service the following Tuesday (yesterday). I dropped the van off yesterday morning and they ended up keeping it overnight. When I picked it up this evening - a working slider door, no service engine light, no TCS light... it's a beautiful thing. I walked out the door paying absolutely nothing. Not a cent. Thank you Mark.

Now, I am fully expecting my van to implode once it reaches exactly 1 mile past the warranty period. Don't ask me how it will happen, but I know some mechanics and I'm pretty sure they can do it. But for now, I'm pleased with the situation at the moment, and I'm very grateful for the excellent customer service that MARK at HONDA saw fit to provide. Good man.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Becky...I just bought a used 2006 Honda Accord EX-L from Basney Honda in Mishawaka, IN. They brag about there 150 point certified used Honda inspection. I have insisted on a Carfax report several times before I bought the car then after I bought it. No luck. I'm still waiting for the CarFax report. I also asked several times if the car was in an accident and was told that it was from a single owner and no it wasn't in an accident. I was told by my used car sales man (I won't use a name for now) that they don't use carfax but they use another company. I really don't care what they use I just want my carfax report.

    I have a bad back and when I did the walk around on the car Sunday afternoon with my mother I didn't notice the cracked front bumper on the car I bought nor did she. The crack is on the bottom and slightly towards the front but u wont see it unless you are laying on the ground or bending over and looking down. It looks like the previous owner scrapped up the bottom pretty well as it was painted up very messy.

    The sales man told me that the sales where final since I bought it and it was probably done by me. I have driven the car about 75 miles when I noticed this. I park my car far away from anyone in the parking lots and wasn't near anything when parking that would cause this. I have enough faith to admit when it was my problem but this wasn't caused by me and I know deep down they knew about this and was hoping someone didn't notice it. Well they got there wish.

    The cigarette lighters X2 in the car didn't work. The service department looked at them then informed me that car had to be turned on. When I tried the lighters they didn't work when the car was on or off. My GPS and Cellphone charger didn't work when the car was on. They did get the cigarette lighters to work after they took them apart.

    I decided to check inside the engine compartment the other day when I was looking inside and noticed the car is missing the screws to hold the air filter down. There are two screws on one side but it's missing the other two screws on the other side. What a great Honda Certified Inspection that I paid extra for?

    They also supposingly detailed the inside and outside of the car. When I use to have a good back that would allow me to do this I use to detail my own cars as well as for friends and family. I found bottle caps and pull tabs from soda bottles as well as the whole back window area not cleaned. It looked like there was cat hair. The front seat area there was dirt in the seats as well as on the stainless/metal areas. They basically put armoral (or whatever they used) on top of the dirt. I went back and detailed the whole inside with vinyl and leather conditioner/cleaner using the professional version of Meguiar's. I was extremely sore when I was done but now the inside looks nice. I asked if they would compensate me for a free oil change and the answer to that was no.

    The sales person was friendly and I know he is trying to do the best he can. Please don't tell me that I did this and then talk over me when I am trying to talk. That is very unprofessional. He did offer to glue my bumper but it still doesn't justify that the bumper was cracked and that I paid a large sum of money for. The car is very nice other than the things I mentioned. I asked for the bumper to be replaced but he said his company won't agree to it. I then asked for them to fix it in the body shop but was told again they probably wouldn't do this either. I did buy the extended warranty and pray I don't have the same problems you did.

    Becky I was wondering if you still had any contacts over at Basney Honda. I guess my next step will be Corporate and then the local paper and if that doesn't work then I'll go from there.

    Thanks for your Help - Upset Honda Buyer

    ReplyDelete