This is a picture of a billboard in the parking lot of the business next to where I work. The business next to where I work happens to be Hooters. The billboard happens to be for the next series that we'll be doing at church. You may remember me mentioning that I got to write a drama about sex? Yeah, that series - as if you couldn't guess from the billboard. In fact, click on the billboard. Go ahead, do it now. I'll wait.Not bad, huh? That video you just watched was created by one of my best friends - the husband of my very best friend - Daryl McMullen. He rocks. Of course, he's part of a team of people who brainstormed the whole idea and made all sorts of group decisions about how the video should look and what it should say and whether or not there should be background music... But he made the video, because he rocks.
Anyway, the reason I bring all of this up is because I want to take yet another opportunity to tell ya'll how much I love being a part of a church that is willing to do what it takes to reach the lost and the broken and the hurting people out there. There are a lot of them. A lot of whom don't like church. They don't like Christians. They think we're hypocritical or pious or judgmental or lousy tippers or all of the above. And some of us are. But we're also human, and human Christians have SEX!! I know, you're shocked. I'll give you a minute...
As I was saying, some people (some who don't know Christ, and some who do) aren't really attracted to the idea of church, but they need help with the hurt and the pain they are experiencing because of choices they've made - some of those choices regarding their sex lives. And Granger isn't afraid to acknowlege those decisions and to help people work through them. In fact, a lot of the people who go to Granger know about those decisions from first-hand experience - which is why we all feel so strongly about the topic and why we are so passionate about getting the message to them, whatever it takes.
So, the billboards are getting a little attention. And that's understandable. It's not everyday, apparently, that people see bare feet. Maybe it's the sheer size of the feet that people find "appalling" or maybe it's the fact that they're NAKED feet. I don't know. I guess I'm just glad that they're clean feet.
You're too kind - way too kind...
ReplyDeleteOf course we all know why we do what we do: "We help people take their next step toward Christ, together." Shameless plug for the church, but then again, it is the reason.
Also, what a great team to work with (Kem, Jami, Lisa, Gene, Adam, Tim and Tony just to name a few...)
Oh yeah, almost forgot. I'll get you the money later...
FABULOUS!
ReplyDeleteAwesome ad...It's a grabber.I guess sex got us all here so now mabey it will point to where we are going and how to get there.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea and, ahem, unique approach to evangelism.
Well, I'm really PISSED! I was watching FOX news today and they were going to do a piece on your church's "unique" (?) topic. They showed a picture of the billboard and kept teasing that they were going to interview the "pastor who's teaching how to have good sex" at his church. Just before it aired, I had to leave for work!!! BLAST!
ReplyDeleteHow'd it go?
I've got it - I'm thinking about posting it to youtube or something so I can share it with you guys... I'll let you know if I figure it out! :)
ReplyDeleteI was so pumped when I caught the news when it originally aired. I can't wait for this weekend! I hope to see you tonight at the meeting! I almost went to your class last night, but chickened out. It's just so hard being friends with the Martha Stewart (minus the prison thing) of scrapbooking! There's just so much pressure!
ReplyDelete