Monday, February 27, 2006

Allow me to get a little something off my chest...

In regards to the photo of "the feet" that has been circulating around town - in the form of billboards, postcards, church bulletins, websites, blogs, etc., etc. - let's just get something straight:

THEY'RE FEET!!!!!!!!!

I have heard and read some of the absolute craziest complaints about those feet, and I have to say that it BLOWS MY MIND!! There are people (not many, just a few) who are expressing concerns that their children have "lost their innocence" as a result of seeing those billboards. This is where I begin speaking, not as a member of Granger Community Church, but as a mother of two young children.

If your children haven't seen the feet of you and your spouse in that very position, IN MY OPINION, there's something wrong. Wrong with your marriage, wrong with your perception of what marriage and family mean, or wrong with your idea of what is holy and good, I cannot say. But there's definitely something wrong. You and your spouse should be spending time in that very position, whether it be on the couch or on your bed, WITH YOUR SHOES AND SOCKS OFF!! Your kids need to see you relaxing together, spending time together, cuddling together... in fact - they should see MORE than that! They should see hugging and kissing and other playful gestures - IT'S GOOD FOR THEM!! Shocking, I know.

As far as not knowing how to answer their questions when they see "the feet," it's quite simple, really. "What's up with that picture, mom?" "They're feet, honey." "What are they doing up there, mom?" "Looks like they're laying down, sweetheart." "Why are they doing that?" "Maybe they're tired, or maybe they're resting together... what do you think?" Chances are that they will be more than satisfied with far less information than you are expecting to have to give. Offer them the minimum amount of information, and when the questions stop, you know you've answered to their satisfaction. There's no need to give more than that - any more would be inappropriate!

Young kids shouldn't have any problem seeing feet like that and thinking almost nothing of it. Older kids may be more curious, or they may be old enough to figure out what the sign says (mylamesexlife.com), in which case, they're old enough that YOU SHOULD BE ADDRESSING THAT ISSUE WITH THEM ANYWAY!! This is basic parenting, and if you find that you can't answer questions that arrise from seeing two pairs of naked feet on a billboard, how well equipped will you be when your child/ren ask you far more difficult questions, because THEY WILL!!

10 comments:

  1. AMEN SISTER!!!!
    You basically said it all, they are FEET!!
    I actually showed them to Allison (age 5) and she said "huh feet". End of conversation, it was no big deal to her and my bet is that it is no big deal to other kids either. I wonder if these "people" watch any TV, cause I have a feeling if they do that they have seen things much more provactive. Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's why I love you guys. I agree 100% with everything you said...but I laughed out loud...too funny.
    --jami

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know - it's funny that OUR kids have seen these pictures all over everything - postcards and bulletins in the car, the website, the billboards... and I haven't even gotten a SINGLE comment on them!

    FEET!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh great! First, pictures of NAKED FEET and now, you're taking things off your chest! Eh, hem. See where all this leads???!!! Hmmmm???

    (Just kidding. of course.)

    I gave ups a long time ago trying to defend doing what God tells me to do. I just do it. God is the great avenger. He'll have His day (in fact, an eternity of them...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I,too,am amazed by the reaction to the feet...I think one comment called them "titillating". As one who works in the medical profession(5 yrs with a foot specialist) I find feet anything but "titillating"??????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky,
    Hello fellow PIT staffer and most respected scrapbooker...I have no idea why I feel the need to do this but I am compelled to respond with a different point of view. And perhaps I should admit to you that I do have the slightest fear within my soul of your response to this, but here it goes…
    My problem with the billboards is not the image of FEET, but with the message below them. I just don’t think that a billboard should dictate the time and place that I talk to my kids about sex. And if they could read, would I then have to go into what “lame” might mean. And why or how sex, even within a marriage might become “lame”? And the mailers that went out…I would not have been too happy if my say, 13 year old son had gotten the mail that day and read the messages on the back. Obviously, as an adult I am able to understand that “Porn: what’s the big deal” is, what do you call it? Tongue in cheek? That if we went to the program, we would learn what the problem is. But my son may read that and say, in his 13 year old mind, “Yeah, what’s so wrong with porn, and yeah, God does want me to have great sex”.
    I think the topic is right on, and I think it’s great if your church wants to discuss it. But I know there were other means of getting your message out, that wouldn’t have been so decidedly controversial. It’s as if they were daring someone to disagree with them, thereby proving how close minded the rest of us are. Personally, I just don’t appreciate being told when to do my parenting.
    Now, remember, I come in peace. Go easy on me. We have to work together. :)

    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice, my dear friend, don't think for a minute that hearing your honest point of view is troublesome to me in any way. I appreciate your input and your taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

    My only response would have to be - do your children watch TV? Do they spend time with other children? This is an issue that they will face, whether we want them to or not.

    Your 13-year-old son has, undoubtedly, already been exposed (no pun intended) to the world of porn in some fasion - I would stake my life on it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if it were me, I'd welcome the chance to address these issues with him now, with you and your husband, rather than taking the chance that "the world" would do it for you, because they will.

    I love you, friend, and I'd be happy to talk more about it with you if you have any desire to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quick question, Becky:

    You mentioned the idea that it's important for kids to see you cuddle. I agree, but Lauren gets really jealous when we do. I know she'll grow out of it, but any advice in the meantime?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah - I remember those days! We'd always make sure to share some hugs and kisses, but we'd never stop just to appease them. When they'd express their opinions about the matter, we'd say something like, "Mommy and Daddy love you too, but we're cuddling right now - see? Mommy loves Daddy!" A lot of times we'd do group hugs, too, and now that's still one of our kids favorite things - when they see us hugging or kissing in the kitchen (or wherever) they come running and yell, "GROUP HUG!!" Then, once we're done, Adam and I go back to our cuddling!

    Good luck - like you said, they get used to it eventually! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right, and so funny. I hope to see ya soon.
    Leah Banicki

    ReplyDelete