Monday, September 4, 2006

What I Did Over Labor Day Weekend by Becky Callender

Thanks to Grandpa Horton and his expert planning and diagramming of my would-be-landscaping, we now have a beautiful assortment of shrubs in front of our house. Grandpa made a list, drew a picture, and took digital pictures of the shrubs I needed to buy (yes, he knows how ignorant I am in this area) all to make sure it turned out just the way we wanted it - and it did!
Mom and I went on Saturday to Varner's to pick out what we needed - I left with two Dwarf Alberta Spruce, two barberrys, three boxwoods and an ornamental grass. We brought them home and set them out where Grandpa said they should go and it looked incredible! And they weren't even in the ground yet!!

The planting began Sunday around noon. Mom helped me with placement and pulled A LOT of weeds while I did the rock moving, shoveling, planting and rock replacing. We put the ornamental grass in a pot next to the front door, and VIOLA - we were done in just a couple of hours!

We decided I needed another barberry on the other side of the front door, and I wanted some more ornamental grass for a couple of other spots in the yard, so back to Varner's we went - mom ended up with 4 mums - and I got my barberry (they were out of grass). I spent the rest of the day weeding the front of the house and trimming trees - all for the effect you see below. If only the backyard could be this easy...

Before

After

3 comments:

  1. Way cool! Does your Grandpa "hire out"? Our place needs it BAD!

    By the way, why would you dig out rocks just to replace them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...we've had the rock all laid out in front of the house for the last year or so. That means I had to move the rocks from where I needed to put the shrubs, then dig the holes, then plant the shrubs, the move the rocks back so they surround the shrubs. Quite the process, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plant AROUND the rocks. It's easier. My yard's a mess, but an EASY mess....

    ReplyDelete