Sunday, September 24, 2006

A light at the end of the tunnel...

So, it's been a really long week. One that you couldn't pay me to repeat. Of course, it's ICC week, which basically means that I haven't seen Adam since last Monday morning for a couple of hours. So there's the single-parenting thing all week... that's no fun. I also worked 60 hours this week. I'm prone to exaggeration. This is not one. I worked 60 hours this week. The week of ICC. I clearly have some type of mental imbalance to allow this to happen.

A day didn't pass this week without some type of incident. Literally.
  • Monday - saw Rachel spitting her dinner in the trash. At least she wasn't cutting her hair. Again.
  • Tuesday - long day and late night at work and Tammy getting stuck watching my kids til 11:30 at night.
  • Wednesday - two kids tantrum-ing themselves to sleep.
  • Thursday - you name it. A virtual plethora of mind-numbing experiences meant to break my spirit until I laid on the floor like a pool of quivering jello.
  • Friday - the honor and privilege of working a full 8.5 hour day, knowing that I would get to return at 10:30 that evening for a few more hours of setting up for an overnight event at work.
  • Saturday - got to work at noon and didn't leave until 6:30am THE NEXT DAY. That brings us to...
  • Sunday - blissfully peaceful so far. Trying to relax and regain my sanity after one of the worst weeks I've had in recent history.

Fortunately, I happen to have the best friend a person could have on the ENTIRE planet!! I was absolutely dreading this weekend. By the time Friday rolled around, I was in a mental hole I had dug for myself with no imaginable way of crawling out until the weekend was behind me. Leave it to Tam to find a way to pull me out of it. Just a couple of hours into my shift on Saturday, Allison wandered in the front door to deliver some of my favorite snacks - Cool Ranch Doritos, Ghiradelli caramel-filled chocolates and a (much-needed) DEW!! What a pick-me-up!! A handful of hours later, another delivery - homebaked chocolate, chocolate chunk cookies, Reese's peanut butter cups, a card, and a MOCHA from Seattle's Best!!! At that point, the other girls began to fight with me over Tammy. They were literally plotting ways to take her away from me. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously - she IS the definition of the word friend in human flesh. Thoughtful, caring, concerned, sacrificial, loving, generous, trust-worthy, considerate, and the list goes on. I don't know how God saw fit to put her in my life, but I'll be the first to say that I couldn't do life without her. She's not just my best friend - she's a second mother to my kids, she holds me accountable and keeps me sane, she's a strong and passionate Christ-follower, and an all-around outstanding human being. Think I'm exaggerating? Then you don't know her. Anyone who does would quickly agree.

Thanks Tam. I just pray that someday I'm able to return the favor. What you probably saw as something small you were doing to brighten my day was SO much more than you even know. I don't deserve you.

Love, me

2 comments:

  1. You are way too nice! I cannot imagine my life without you either.
    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had it rough. Well, after hearing your week, that's what I get for thinking!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete