Saturday, September 9, 2006

Adam and I have been to two more concerts this year than we've been to in probably the last 5, or even 10. In fact, I can't really remember the last concert we went to before this year...with the exception of Def Leppard in 1991. Anyway, I digress...

In August, Adam and I made the quick trip to Chicago (btw, if you drive there on a Friday afternoon and take Stony Island, you're IN!! Took us about and hour and 15 minutes to get downtown - sweet!) to see Teddy Geiger. Little did I know just how popular this new, young musician (17 years old, to be exact) was with the teenage girls. Wow. Nothing like spending the evening with a few thousand teenagers, and being a couple out of only a handful that are old enough to sit in the bar, to make you feel ancient. A few thoughts streamed through my head at different points in the night, like: "I'm old enough to be his mother," (a very young, unmarried one, but still...), and "my son is only 10 years younger than that kid," and "He was born the year I graduated from high school." None of them were very pleasant thoughts, to be sure. You may be asking yourself, "Why would they go spend the evening with a bunch of screaming teenagers just to see this kid?" The answer is simple: he's an absolutely incredible - no, GIFTED, musician. I think back to myself at 17 years old, and compare my accomplishments (or lack thereof) to what he's doing and it just blows my mind. Talk about passion and purpose!

So that brings me to last night. Adam and I took the afternoon off work and drove down to Noblesville for the Sheryl Crow/John Mayer concert. We made a quick (or, according to Adam, not so quick) stop at Scrapbook Corner, grabbed dinner from Qdoba (yummy), and headed out to the middle of a cornfield, what they call Verizon Wireless Music Center (formerly Deer Creek), for the show. Adam paid for "premier parking" so we pulled up near the gate, parked and headed inside. Not only did he shell out the big bucks for parking, but he also got us seats in the pavillion (section F - dead center) rather than in the lawn. Man, does he spoil me!! We had excellent seats, perfect for snapping a few pictures that you can see HERE. Sheryl Crow was ok. She doesn't really do much for me. Apparently most of the others there agree with me because the crowd sat for most of her warm-up. (Sidenote: Imagine how strange it must be for her, a 40-something-year-old woman who's been in the business for as many years as she has, opening for this not-even-30-year-old rising star...)

John Mayer, on the other hand, was unbelieveable! Incredibly talented, FUNNY, and pretty humble, considering the position he's currently in. He's an amazing musician - I'm SO glad we got to see him in person. It was even worth the torturously long drive home on US31 - the worst roadtrip EVER!! (Especially since I wasn't the one driving us home at 2 in the morning! Thanks sweetie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment