Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Diving Lessons



The kids have entered their last week of swimming lessons for the summer, and today they started diving. Jacob had his first experience with it during the first session in June, but this was Abby's first time in the deep end of the pool - and she did GREAT! She didn't even hesitate - in fact, she was first in line. Of course, we're still working on form with both of them, but I'm just happy they're having a good time and getting used to the idea of swimming in the deep end.

They both have made so much progress in their swimming this summer - I really can't believe it. Jacob's strokes look awesome - just working on turning his head to breathe (rather than the lifting and shaking-like-a-wet-dog technique!). Abby is swimming on her own most of the time. She swims well underwater, and is even making progress with her front crawl - the teacher can let go and she swims all the way back to the wall by herself. I'm so proud of my kids for doing their best and having a good time learning new things! I love going and watching and cheering them on. I don't even care that I look like an absolute idiot for cheering for a couple of kids at swimming lessons!

My goal for tomorrow - get Abby's front crawl on video tape. There really is no way to describe it verbally but, basically, she swims like a snake. All the movement is in the area of her hips - her whole head is under the water, her arms are going like a windmill, and her butt is up in the air and swishing right to left like a metronome on speed. I literally sit in the gallery and laugh out loud. I love it. Click on the picture for more great shots (by Adam) of diving lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment