Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Abby's 7


We celebrated Abby's 7th birthday on Monday with a SNOW DAY (for no good reason, except it being Abby's birthday), lunch at China One, a visit from Grandma and Grandpa Albright, and then some time with the McMullens. But, the actual celebration started with a "small group" party on Saturday night with the McMullens, Ruths and Verduins. Then we had an "all GIRL" birthday party on Sunday with 7 of Abby's friends at Pages In Time (where else??). It was our first experience with a real classmate party, where kids are dropped off and left for a period of time under my, and (fortunately for all of us) Tammy's supervision. Um, wow. That was a wake-up call. Eight squeeling, giggling, running, dancing 6 & 7 year olds... At least it's only once a year! We started with taking pictures of each of the girls, then they got to make a door hanger craft using some shimmery fun paper and stickers, along with their pictures. The girls seemed to have a good time, and Abby was happy, so it was all worth it. It's safe to say, though, that I wouldn't have survived it without Tammy's help!!

Some memorable things about Abby's 7th year: She lost more teeth, grew some more back (confirming her future need for braces...), took ice skating lessons, played soccer, took swimming lessons and ballet, finished Kindergarten and started 1st grade, visited Shedd Aquarium, the Apple Festival and the pumpkin patch, traveled to Kenosha, Iowa and "Up North" Wisconsin, learned to ride a two-wheeler, got her first American Girl doll, and that's just the tip of the iceberg!

Abby has grown SO much this last year - not just in height, but in academics, maturity and personality. She's reading chapter books now and her favorite subject in school is MATH! She loves her teacher, Mrs. Kuc, and gets along so well with her friends. Her very best friends in the world, after Jacob and her cousin Kaitlyn, are Allison and Rachel, with whom she still spends a lot of time. Not nearly as much as this time last year - we're not doing childcare with the McMullen's every day like we did last school year. Abby is "a very happy girl" (confirmed by her teacher), VERY social, and as *free-spirited* as they come. She's a cuddler in every sense of the word. Grandma has affectionately nicknamed her "Velcro" as she is quick to attach herself to you in a very close, personal-space-out-the-window kind of way. I love, love that about her (unless I'm sleeping - but even then, after the fact, it's so adorable, in a slightly annoying, stay-OUT-of-my-bed kind of way).

Abby and Jacob are still super close, which THRILLS me beyond words. They get along well, rarely arguing. When they do, it's usually because they're playing too rough and Jacob gets hurt. (She's a little less careful and a little less concerned with the consequences than our first born) Just recently I "caught" them reading together in his room - Jacob listening to her read, and vice versa. It brought tears to my eyes, and I pray that they remain that close - or at least find their way back after whatever adolescence brings their way.

I continue to marvel at what Abby has brought into our lives and God's perfect plan and timing. Left up to me, we never would have had another baby so soon. I was scared, overwhelmed and unprepared. Or so I thought. But God knew better, and it wasn't about me anyway. Our family NEEDED her - Jacob, Adam and I were all lacking something. I could never have fully understood it then, but with each passing day, month and year it becomes more obvious. She brings light and joy and nearly constant entertainment, intermixed with the occasional frustration over a lack of "focus" or concern for time constraints... But what's parenting without perpetual lessons in patience, right?

Abby, I am so proud of you, and I am honored to have been entrusted with your care for as long as God sees fit. My prayer is that you will seek after Him with your whole heart, while remaining fully aware of and passionate for those around you who don't know Him yet. You have such a soft and compassionate heart, and I can't wait to see what God has planned for your life. You have such tremendous potential - I know you are going to do great things, and I am so excited to see what kind of woman you will become. But there is absolutely no rush. PLEASE, if not for me then for you...SLOW DOWN.

"It means a lot to me that you were His child long before you were ever mine. I love you with all the power of my being and He loves you more than that. Don't forget it."

-Mom

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ABBY!!!!!!! Make sure you tell you mom and dad that you want to visit Sarasota, Florida as part of your adventurous year.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby is such a beautiful little girl!!!

    ReplyDelete