
Jacob and Abby are playing Upward Soccer this year for the first time and we are all LOVING it! It just started a couple of weeks ago and goes for 6 weeks with a game for each of the on Saturdays. Allison McMullen is also playing but on a different team from Abby, so last weekend they actually played AGAINST each other - hilarious! Abby got to try out being goalie, and Ally scored a goal during the game (fortunately not while Abby was guarding the net!). We are SO proud of both of them! Jacob's game was at the same time as Abby's, so Adam, mom and I found ourselves running back and forth between the two fields. Jacob also got to try out the goalie position, but he thought it was boring (fortunately for him, all of the action was on the other end of the field while he was in!).This week they had their team pictures taken and then Jacob's game was at 9. It was COLD outside! At least for September it was cold, but I wouldn't have wanted to be anywhere else. I love watching Jacob try his best, but also have fun in the process. He's still at the age, and early enough in the competitive sports process, where this is just fun. There were a few times I saw him laughing as he and other boys went for the ball at the same time, or when he'd try to kick and it didn't go just where he thought it would. That's refreshing to me - at least at this stage of the game. I know the day will probably come when his performance and that of the team will be what matters most, and I'll enjoy that too, but right now it's about the fun and he doesn't get down on himself or others if they don't have a perfect game. Yes, he was thrilled that they won yesterday, but when they "lost" the week before, he had the exact same smile on his face on the way home. I love that.
Abby played at 11:30 and she had a blast. The funniest thing about watching a team of girls, at least at that age, is that, unlike the boys in the same situation, when the girls who are on "the bench" are waiting for their turn to play, they naturally turn into cheerleaders. So you'll hear them attempting their own made-up cheers, and they jump and clap and sing - all while paying absolutely no attention to the game. HI-larious. Abby also takes that opportunity to chase bugs, twirl around, explore and otherwise entertain herself. Surprisingly, though, when she's on the field, she really seems to pay attention the majority of the time. In fact, during both games she's had the chance to be goalie (which terrifies me, for her sake - the pressure!), and both times she really stayed with the game and kept her eye on the ball. For those of you who know Abby, you can probably understand what I'm saying. She's very much MY daughter. :)
Then we all stayed and watched Ally play at 12:45, so we made a day of it. She's incredible - quite the natural soccer player (it's in her genes - hehe) and very much "in it" while she plays.
Overall it's been a great experience and I'm glad they're trying it out. For anyone who's interested in checking out the action, their games on Saturday are at 10:15 and 11:30 behind New Life Church.
No comments:
Post a Comment