There's nothing like Sunday. The only thing that could have made today better is for Adam to have had the day off. I woke up (for the last time) around 10:45 (there were a few interruptions throughout the morning as the kids asked me random questions or made strange observations that I simply HAD to know about at THAT moment). We went and got a newspaper and then relaxed at home for a while as I read said newspaper and the kids watched "Sky High" and then played outside. After a while we decided to go out and get some lunch before going grocery shopping. On our way to Culver's, we drove by GCC and saw Adam's truck sitting in the drive, so I called him and learned that he and his team were on their way to Logan's. The kids and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have dinner with Adam, so we headed over to join the him, Mike, Ben, the Manns and "the kids" for lunch. Jonathan and Walter and funny boys. I'm so glad they get to spend a lot of time with Adam - he needs the entertainment when he's apart from me (!) and they need to see what normal and stable looks like. They are a good team.
Sidenote: Jacob is allergic to peanuts. If you no anything about Logan's, you know that it's covered with peanuts. Right now you might be thinking, "She has to be the stupidest parent on the face of the planet to take a risk like that," or "Honey, give me the phone, I need to make a call to CPS!" While admittedly risky, there are several reasons I thought it would be ok to take Jacob there for lunch, none of which I'll go in to right now. Suffice it to say that he not only survived, but had a completely reaction-free Logan's experience. This is the time I ask that we all say a little prayer of thanks to God for such an amazing miracle! Jacob's doctor has been telling us that with ZERO exposure to peanuts over the span of his life that there is a chance that Jacob MAY "outgrow" his peanut allergy. All of his allergies have decreased in severity over the years, and I would have to assume that's the case with this one as well. It will be time for Jacob to have another test in a few months (typically just before school starts), so join me in praying for a GREAT report from Dr. Claussen next time we go.
We said goodbye to Adam and his posse and the kids and I headed over to Kohl's to do a little shopping (jeans for Adam, sundresses for Abby, shorts for Jacob) and then to WalMart to finally do some grocery shopping. I don't know what's wrong with me lately but I have been avoiding that task like the plague. I will go WEEKS between trips, even to the point of eating chips for dinner for lack of anything else in the house, just to keep from having to make that dreaded trip. I HATE it! Of course, it could have something to do with the company I take with me... Anyway, after a fairly painful hour at WalMart, the kids and I headed over to Culver's for some ice cream (frozen custard, to be more accurate) and then we parked and went back to a little pond behind Arby's to feed the baby ducks and geese that have taken up residence there. We first saw them yesterday while eating at Arby's with the McMullen's before church. I couldn't resist buying an extra loaf of bread today with them in mind - there is nothing cuter than baby ducks and geese! The kids and I polished of the custard pretty quickly and proceeded to toss an entire loaf of bread, broken into little bite-sized pieces, into the pond. Jacob was a little hesitant as the adult geese were a little vocal when we would get a little too close for comfort. I had explained that we needed to be careful because geese can get a little ornery and have even been known to chase people that have made them mad. Well, after Jacob saw one of the geese hiss and chase after another goose, I never had to remind him to keep his distance. In fact, at one point he got back into the car and wanted to roll the windows up, just to be safe! On the other hand, it was all I could do to keep Abby out of the water! No big surprise there.
From there we headed home, unloaded the groceries and then headed out for a bike ride around the neighborhood. We made it all the way around the entire south part of the neighborhood before Jacob started to get a little tired, and on our way back, Abby and I spotted a baby bunny sitting near the side of the road (Jacob was a ways ahead of us). She and I stopped to watch it for a little while before heading toward home, but by then Jacob was walking back up the road to find us. When we told him about the bunny, he had to see it to, so I told Abby to head home and I'd take Jacob back to see it. We sat and watched it for a while and started to head back when we saw Abby walking back toward us, carrying her lawn chair! She wanted to sit and watch the bunny! So we all sat there, on the side of the road, watching this little baby bunny, and talking about all of the animal babies we saw today and how much fun we had. By the time we got back home it was about 7:30 (and still VERY light out!!) and we hadn't eaten dinner yet - it was almost 8:45 by the time the kids were done eating, and they still didn't believe me that it was really past their bedtime because it was still so light out! Abby desperately needed a bath from being dragged through the backyard by a rope tied around her ankle (talk to her big brother about that one - he'll tell you that she told him to! The funny part is that it's probably true!) earlier this morning, so I had to quickly throw her in the bath - it was 9:30 when all was said and done, and my kids will be falling asleep at school tomorrow!
Good day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
At least your shopping trips are only one hour...
ReplyDeleteMy mom spends at least three every time she goes!
it takes me a couple of hours too, and I don't take any kids with me!!!
ReplyDeleteRed - Loved the post - very eventful day! I especially love the section in chapter 6 about the ducks and in chapter 36 about the shopping trip...
ReplyDelete: ) Just joking - I do the same thing to Tammy when she blogs. I ask her how many more chapters she has to finish before the book is put to bed...
Keep it up, Mc!
ReplyDeleteBecky,
ReplyDeleteI love your blog! Abby and Jacob are HILARIOUS and your stories about them make me happy while I am here at work :o)