Thursday, December 22, 2005

The holidays...

I started my Christmas shopping yesterday. That's right, I said yesterday. Welcome to the land of procrastination, where I am Queen. I haven't sent out my Christmas cards either. They're addressed and ready to go - just haven't made it to the post office. So if you're sitting at home thinking, "Those lousy Callenders - no Christmas card from them again this year?? That's it - they're off our list!!" That's not it at all. Be patient - you may get one sometime in January. Fortunately, I am making most of my Christmas gifts this year for friends and extended family. Would love to be able to afford to do more, but you know how that goes. There's always next year, after we win the lottery! ;) Anyway, I made a good bit of progress in the few short hours I had at the mall, Meijer and Target. The kids are pretty much done. I just need to set things out, probably after the kids go to bed tonight, and figure out if I'm about "even."

I went to help out at Jacob's "Winter" party at school today. Do I need to get started on how annoying it is to me that we can't call it what it is?? IT'S A FREAKIN CHRISTMAS PARTY, PEOPLE!! Give me a break. Yes, there's an Indian boy in the class. I'm sure there are kids of other religions in the class. Fine. Have a Christmas party. Have a Hannukah party. Have a Kwanza party. I doubt the kids would mind a couple of extra parties in the name of fairness, right? What happens when people decide that they don't believe in Winter anymore - then what are we going to call the party?

Kids have a day off school for MLK's birthday, and another for President's Day. We honor these history-makers and we call it what it is - Martin Luther King Day. Even if we don't all believe that Jesus is the son of God, can't we all agree that he holds a prominent place in history and was an incredible humanitarian who fought for the rights of the poor, needy, neglected members of society, all while taking a stand against an oppressive government. Seems that he deserves to be recognized for such accomplishments and that his work should be added to text books and studied like any other history-maker, don't you think?

Sorry - tangent. The party was wonderful and the kids had a great time. I led the "Holiday Bingo" and baked chocolate chip cookies for the class. I love having the opportunity to be involved in the kids' classes - it's what being a parent is all about! I know all the kids in each of their classes by first name, and they all know me as "Jacob's mom" or "Abby's mom." I love it.

Wednesday night was Abby's Christmas program at school. She was incredible. What a performer! She isn't huge on the words - not like some kids that are yelling them out - but she is all about the motions. I pity the children who get in her way. She will show them no mercy! If I can get Adam to help me figure out the video capture thing, I'll try and share some of it with you. It's truly priceless.

I hope you all are taking time to enjoy your families and friends and that you're reflecting on what this season really is about. "jesus' birthday." (Jacob just typed it for me. What a smarty!)

No comments:

Post a Comment