Monday, November 7, 2005

Our own little Evil Knievel

Here we are, only 23 days from first taking the training wheels off, and it's already begun. I have a boy. Where did he even get the idea to try this?? I marvel at how boys are just born...boys. Tyler McMullen recently reminded me of this (and Jacob was the same as a toddler) when he picked up one of Jacob's matchbox cars and that noise just came out of him. You know the one. The motor noise - the one that they don't have to be taught. The one that even adult girls can't make - and we look like idiots for even trying - it just doesn't sound the same! I understand the mechanics behind it, but my mouth simply cannot make that sound. Same with riding a bike. No one showed Jacob how to do this trick. He may have seen a little neighbor boy doing it, or maybe not. But that boy didn't come over and say, "Ok, Jacob, when you build up just enough speed to maintain momentum, take your feet and put them on the middle bar, remembering to balance and keep your eyes on the road..." It's outstanding - the nature of it. And despite the fact that I'm envisioning his front tire catching on a small rock, the bike flipping, and his precious head cracking on the concrete, I can't help but smile at how God made my boy just that - every bit a BOY.

5 comments:

  1. You go boy - it's gotta be one or more of the following: The Force, the Midiclorian Levels, the Spidey-sense, or the Bat Reflexes. At least that's what I'm thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY COW! who is this boy and what have you done with my nephew??? i had no idea that jacob would be this daring! it's all down hill from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you're still learning that boys are different from girls? And HOW did you have kids??!!:)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness.....that is a little crazy! scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool! I totally went back to 1982 when I saw that! What a poster for "Wild At Heart"..the adventurous boy! I don't have a bike anymore, so I'm going to go to that on my John Deere!

    ReplyDelete