My first baby turned 8 years old today. Can I BE that old??!? But this isn't about me... For those of you who don't know this incredible kid, and even for those of you who do, I'd love to brag on my kid and tell you a little bit about the young man he's growing up to be. First, there's never been a more caring and sensitive boy. Sure, he has his very "boyish" moments when he's loaded with more energy than his body can contain, but he is primarily concerned with the thoughts and feelings of others. He's considerate and thoughtful, and a good friend. The mother of one of his classmates told me that very thing just yesterday - that Jacob is the first to stick up for this boy in his class when others aren't kind. That is my son, and there is nothing that could make me more proud. He's a problem solver - all I have to do is think of a situation that's causing me frustration or that requires resolution and he's all over it - just like his father. I'll never forget the night we were working on the kids' Derby cars this last fall when I said, "Abby, you're standing in my light and I can't see what I'm doing." Within 3 minutes I had two lamps on the kitchen table in front of me - one delivered by my husband and the other by my son, each without knowledge of what the other was doing. Unbelievable.
Jacob is affectionate and playful - he loves hugs and kisses, saying "I love you" and hanging out together as a family. He's a terrific big brother - sure, he and Abby have their typical brother/sister disagreements, but they're pretty few and far between. They really care for each other and treat each other respectfully most of the time. I know they'll probably have their rough patches, particularly through adolescence, but I really think they'll continue to be close as they grow up. Abby has never known life without Jacob, and Jacob doesn't remember his life without Abby. One of the benefits to having kids so close together! :)
I'm in no hurry for either of my kids to get any older, but as I look ahead, I can imagine the type of husband and father Jacob will be. I know every mother probably thinks this of their son, but in my case it is absolutely true - any girl would be truly blessed to have him. And something tells me that, with his glowing blue eyes and freckled nose, he'll have his pick!
Happy birthday Jacob!!!
ReplyDeleteBecky, I loved this post. This is a treasure, Jacob is a treasure, and I love that you were able to capture it in words.
ReplyDeleteGreat job this weekend . . . Yer funny and stuff . . .
ReplyDelete